Young Enterprise has created a series of board games to help students become more financially capable. Balance The Books teaches students how to record personal financial transactions. Players learn how different situations impact on their financial positions, and collect risk and reward cards.
Through Balance The Books, students will:
- Understand how their savings can grow and shrink.
- Learn the difference between risk (expenses) and reward (income).
- Learn about social responsibility and the benefits of unpaid work.
- Compare and contrast their savings with other players.
Personal Financial Management is a fundamental part of a young person’s education. Balance The Books is designed to support the development of all five key competencies. The game also has strong links to the Social Sciences and Mathematics and Statistics learning areas.
Balance The BooksDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Learn how to keep and update a personal cash book
- Take turns to move around the game board, aiming for Reward squares and trying to avoid Risk squares
- Update their cash books every time their savings balance changes
- Calculate their statement of financial position at the end of the game to find out who is the winner.