‘Cool Rooms' sees students work individually or in groups to design and furnish a room before calculating the costs of paint and carpet. This activity may present opportunities for cross curricular study and has is a practical way to weave financial capability through a maths lesson.
Through this webquest, students will
- understand how to apply area calculations in a practical way.
This webquest links Mathematics and Statistics with Personal Financial Capability. It can help students develop their financial knowledge and skills in an authentic context.
Cool Rooms webquestDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Design their own room using a free online tool
- Calculate the area of the floors, walls and ceiling
- Use an online tool to find out the cost of painting and decorating their room
- Choose furniture for the room using an online catalogue
- Teaching Guide
- Activity: Webquest Worksheet