Grandad’s Letter is one of the one-hour lessons developed by Young Enterprise to help students improve their financial capability. In this Level 4 lesson, Peter has been invited to holiday with his grandparents in Brisbane. Students will create a holiday plan and budget for Peter, and be introduced to exchange rates.
Through Grandad’s Letter, students will
- Understand that people manage money and make financial decisions
- Understand that people have different needs and wants, and financial behaviours
- Understand how financial decisions impact on themselves and others
Grandad’s Letter has strong links to the Social Sciences curriculum. The resource helps students to understand concepts such as financial decisions, consequences, financial plans, personal goals, financial goals and financial tools. This resource also helps teachers deliver the key competencies.
Grandad's LetterDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Draw a family tree and discuss how the family trees within the class vary
- Read and discuss Richard’s story about moving to Australia
- Read and discuss Grandad’s Letter
- Research some key facts about Brisbane
- Work in groups to create a holiday plan for Peter’s visit to Brisbane
- Create a budget and work out how much Peter needs to save for his trip