The Hot Topics series includes 12 short units designed to improve students’ financial capability. Hot Topic 6 introduces students to the share market and discusses shares, investment and risk. Students will examine three different NZX-listed companies, discuss the risks involved in the sharemarket and take part in an investment challenge.
Through this Hot Topic, students will:
- Understand why shares are issued and how they are valued
- Be able to articulate the risks involved in sharemarket investment
- Learn to evaluate a company’s performance on the sharemarket.
Personal Financial Management is a fundamental part of a young person’s education. The Hot Topics series is designed to support the development of the key competencies. The series also has links to the Social Sciences and Mathematics and Statistics learning areas.
Hot Topic 6: SharemarketDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Learn some of the key terms used in the sharemarket investment sector
- Watch and discuss a series of videos about the NZX
- Evaluate three NZX-listed companies’ performance on the sharemarket
- Take part in an investment challenge.