The Hot Topics series includes 12 short units designed to improve students’ financial capability. Hot Topic 9 introduces students to New Zealand’s KiwiSaver scheme and its benefits. Students will calculate how much they can save using the KiwiSaver and discuss wider impacts of the scheme.
Through this Hot Topic, students will:
- Be able to articulate the benefits of the KiwiSaver scheme
- Understand the implications of KiwiSaver for their personal financial situation
- Examine the wider questions surrounding the retirement age in New Zealand.
Personal Financial Management is a fundamental part of a young person’s education. The Hot Topics series is designed to support the development of the key competencies. The series also has links to the Social Sciences and Mathematics and Statistics learning areas.
Hot Topic 9: KiwiSaverDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Learn about KiwiSaver and its’ key features
- Calculate their KiwiSaver contributions
- Discuss whether KiwiSaver improves New Zealanders’ financial literacy
- Learn about investor personalities
- Debate KiwiSaver.