The InEx board game teaches students about budgeting in a fun and engaging way, showing them how to live their lives as well as they can within their budget. Students earn wages and must calculate how to save and spend their earnings. The game can be played in one session, or over several lessons.
Through InEx, students will:
- Learn about fixed, variable and discretionary expenses
- Make decisions about how to allocate their money against different expenses while still saving
- Learn how to create and maintain a weekly budget
- Understand the disadvantages of going into debt
Personal Financial Management is a fundamental part of a young person’s education. InEx is designed to support the development of the key competencies. The game also has strong links to the Mathematics and Statistics and Social Sciences learning areas.
Students taking part will
- Set a budget for each week of the game
- Record financial transactions for each day of the week
- Carry any savings at the end of the week into the budget for the following week
- Calculate their financial balance and happiness points to determine the overall winner