Jack’s Story is a short financial education lesson which can be delivered in only 1 hour. The lesson teaches primary students about earning, spending, saving and sharing. Students will meet Jack and learn how people can earn money in different ways. They will also create a wall display using the supplied templates and their own work.
Through Jack’s Story, students will
- Understand how family members belong to an economic group
- Understand how people in family groups have roles and responsibilities.
- Learn to recognise New Zealand notes and coins to the value of $20
This lesson links to the Social Sciences and Mathematics and Statistics learning areas. It focuses on the development of financial capability, positioning students to make well-informed financial decisions through their lives.
Jack's StoryDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Learn about New Zealand notes and coins up to the value of $20
- Read Jack’s story and discuss with the class
- Create a Financial Vocabulary Wall
- Complete one of two jigsaw puzzles
- Draw a picture that represents how money is earned and/or used in their household