Our Notes and Coins is a one-hour lesson. Students will learn about the designs on our currency and their cultural and historical importance to New Zealanders. This lesson suits students working at Level 1 of the curriculum. Students will become familiar with the different values of our notes and coins, and the designs and characters on New Zealand currency.
Through Our Notes and Coins, students will
- Become familiar with New Zealand notes and coins
- Learn the cultural and historical significance of the currency designs
This resource has strong links to the Social Sciences curriculum and at least two of the key competencies (Relating to others; Using language, symbols and texts). The lesson also helps students to develop their financial capability skills.
Our Notes and CoinsDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Examine real New Zealand currency and describe them in their own words
- Discuss the people and designs on the currency
- Share which note or coin is their favourite
- Our Notes and Coins Teaching Guide
- Template: New Zealand notes and coins