The ‘Top Dog’ webquest challenges students to research the costs of owning a dog. This online activity requires students to make decisions based on selection criteria that are either chosen by students or provided in the unit. Students then calculate the financial costs, which are based on their research. Students can complete the ‘Top Dog’ webquest in groups or individually.
Through the ‘Top Dog’ webquest, students will:
- Learn to research and analyse information before making financial decisions
- Be able to articulate the financial consequences of their decisions
The ‘Top Dog’ webquest tests students’ financial capabilities. It has links to the ‘Economic World’ strand of the Social Sciences curriculum. The unit also focuses on the ‘Number and Algebra’ and ‘Geometry and Measurement’ strands of the Mathematics and Statistics curriculum.
Top Dog webquestDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Research and discuss the key responsibilities of pet ownership
- Research different dog breeds and choose one as their pet
- Research different items they will need to look after their new dog
- Calculate costs
- Compare their choices with fellow students
- Teacher Guide
- Activity: Pooch Sheet