This group project requires students to plan, choose and work out the costs of buying and running a car. This authentic assignment, which runs over 3-6 periods, is an exercise in critical thinking before making a reasoned decision. It can also be used as an extra resource for Accounting Achievement Standard 90981, ‘Make a financial decision for an individual or group’.
Through this webquest, students will:
- Research and plan their annual mileage
- Research and select the different vehicle options available
- Calculate annual costs of the different vehicle options
- Make an informed decision on which vehicle best suits their situation.
The ‘What’s my car?’ webquest links to the Social Sciences, Technology and Mathematics and Statistics learning areas. It can be used as an extra resource for Accounting Achievement Standard 90981 - ‘Make a financial decision for an individual or group’.
What's my car? webquestDownload overview
Students taking part will
- Research a planned itinerary
- Evaluate what type of car is most suitable for the trip
- Choose whether to lease or purchase the car, and detail the financial implications
- Evaluate the different vehicle insurance options
- Investigate and budget for ongoing vehicle maintenance costs.
- Teaching Guide
- Student worksheet: What's My Car Webquest